Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Flashlight M.I.A. wordy wed

We have a really powerful flashlight on the kitchen counter by the phone.
It has a slot in a metal organizer that fits it perfectly. 
We use it for after dark dog business, for finding things dropped on the kitchen floor because seniors can't see well with the naked eye, especially tiny pills that fly out of the pill box or even the mouth at times.
It has been there for years, Always There!
Until it was not.

Bob came down the hall when he woke up, and found me madly searching, opening cabinets, closets, drawers, digging in the garbage can, and said What are you looking for this early in the morning?
I replied, "The Flashlight is MIA!" 
It is not in the house, and I know I did not take it out.
He said I put it back by the phone when I took Beau out last night.
Well, it's NOT THERE NOW!
Bob starts going behind me checking all the places I have already checked because we both find that when something is Missing, we might find it in a place we checked twice before and did not see it.
I stood still and started the memory game. 
What have I done since I got up at 2:15?
I could not sleep and left bob to sleep without me fidgeting
I listed in my head a moment-by-moment action taken.
I remembered I had cleaned the leather sofas, while they were minus Dog and Hubby.
I sat the leather cleaner on the counter when done, Beau came down the hall, I took the flashlight out with Beau and came back in.
After that my memory was a blank.
My Mind Said, look under the kitchen sink where the leather cleaner lives!
THERE it was, standing between the suntan oil and leather cleaner.
BTW, I had TWICE opened that cabinet and twice did not see it..
I must have sat it down by the cleaner and when I came back in, I picked up the flashlight with the cleaner, which means I did not put the flashlight back in the slot it lives in.
The scary thing is, I HAVE NO MEMORY of
putting it under the kitchen sink with the cleaner. 
NONE AT ALL. I am thinking someone put a roofie in my coffee.



20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, it was the middle of the night, and you were sleepy and had no coffee.

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm not sure what the fuss was about. That happens to us all the time. The other day Andy lost his car keys, which after a long search were found in his pocket. And it's not only age, I did the same sort of thing, except worse, over 35 years ago.

Tigger's Mum said...

"A place for everything and everything in its place" is a double edged sword. You can always find everything it its place until it isn't and then it could be absolutely anywhere. Phones, glasses, keys. F had none of these 2 decades ago now her life falls apart without them and she is always not remembering where they are if she doesn't put them down in the RIGHT place. I always remember where my food bowl is, even when it gets moved. Xxx Mr T

easyweimaraner said...

I have such moments too... who placed the window cleaner in the fridge? Who parked my running shoes outside? seems there is an illegal house mate in our crib ;O)

Ann said...

That early in the morning, without sufficient amounts of coffee in you, no wonder you didn't remember putting it there. I do that when I'm searching for something. I will look in the same place several times before I actually see it. I was looking for something the other day and never did find where I put it.

Breathtaking said...

Good Morning Sandra :=) I understand how stressful it can be. My one fear is losing my glasses, because I only have one pair. I have tried wearing them attached to a chain,or leather cord, but it irritates the back of my neck. I am always misplacing them, then I start to panic. They are never lost of course just hiding, and I can't do anything until I've found them, usually by retracing my steps when I have calmed down. I almost cry with relief when I find them. Now, you would think I would be more careful, but it still happens from time to time!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
You were too sleepy to remember. Hubby and I have done the same with the kitchen scissors. He put them in the den for some reason. Take care, have a great day!

Hootin Anni said...

We have a door jamb thing-a-m'bob...shaped like a dog. Hours, days, weeks we looked everywhere for it!!! Never found it...forgot about looking for it. The other day, in a closet of all places, there it was. Who put it there, and when is beyond both our memories!!!

DawnTreader said...

Thngs one does in the middle of the night don't count as memory loss! ;-) Plus your logic reasoning the day after makes up for it. I often spend lots of time looking for things hidden in plain sight...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yeeechh, I shivered because that's exactly the sort of thing that happens to me. YAM xx

Mevely317 said...

I think we have the twin to your flashlight. While it doesn't have a dedicated organizer slot, it lives at the end of the kitchen bar where I could reach it blindfolded.

Occasionally it goes missing and yes, your and Bob's scenario sounds like Tom and me -- each of us looking at one another like they're the Real Culprit. At least this provided entertaining blog fodder!

PS - And now I need to know what leather cleaner you use?

Kaitlin said...

This happens to Torben all the time with his reading glasses. Every now and then we find a chewed pair in Tempi’s bed, so I don’t think it is all his doing… but I guess Beau probably didn’t put the flashlight where you found it.

Rose said...

Welcome to my world...specially the part about something being where you have already looked two or three times.

Chatty Crone said...

I do that too - I lose things all the time here and the place is not that big! lol

photowannabe said...

I'm so glad that I'm right there among good friends.
How can so many things be hidden "in plain sight"?
Dave and I follow each other around looking for said item too...always thinking where did YOU put it?!!!
Usually we do find it but sometimes it is gone forever.
Just to let you know that the temperature reached 115F yesterday and stayed there for several hours. Unbelievable...didn't go out of the house. Happy our power didn't go off either, that would have been horrible.
Today it's only suppose to be 108F..Cooling trend..haha..
Frankly HOT IS HOT !
Sue

Hootin Anni said...

Ps...in case you missed seeing me on your feed, today I have a post about house construction. Finally

DeniseinVA said...

I am happy you found it and I can really relate! I have lost something right now that I have searched high and low for. These things usually turn up eventually when you are looking for something else, that's me anyhow. And I have a thing about flashlights. I am always buying a new one because it is better than the one I have.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Oh Sandra...I do that too. Sooo frustrating! Glad you found it!!

Linda said...

This just goes with what's happening to all of us - of a given age!
This afternoon, Louis Dean came walking into the kitchen carrying the blue microwave cover thing we use to put over the food we are heating. He said, "Don't ask! I have NO CLUE why I took this to my music room!"
I'm thrilled he brought it back! I'm STILL looking for my three muffin pans!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad you found it and it sounds like a pretty normal mistake. We have all been there. I do that with my phone and glasses often.